3 February is South African National Beer Day and even though we never quite need a reason to celebrate beer, we have one and it’s so worth it!
To be quite honest, most breweries, bars and restaurants just didn’t make any effort. I mean, who really wants to do a tour of your brewery or do tasters? No ways – we want to drink and we want to drink A LOT! So here’s a list of those who made some effort:
1. Mad Giant (Gauteng): R200 gets you bottomless draught beer for the ENTIRE day at the brewery in Johannesburg!
2. Beerhouse (Gauteng and Western Cape): Get 50% off their #DrinkLocal tasting tray and a FREE Beer Tasting with local brewers at scheduled time slots (TBC). The #DrinkLocal tasting tray consists of 6 x 120ml beers from breweries that are within 20km of Beerhouse.
3. Tuk Tuk Microbrewery (Western Cape): Buy 1 full pint of any Tuk Tuk craft beer and get a 2nd full pint at HALF PRICE. Better yet, they’re celebrating on 3 & 4 February!
4. Devil’s Peak Brewery (Western Cape): Head over to Devil’s Peak De Oude or Salt River and you’ll get to taste the DP Collaboration range on tap for one last time. Also, all beers will be R40 a pint. Apparently, there is “extremely limited stock…”.
5. Table 58 Brewing (East London): Get a spitbraai roll and 500ml beer for R70.
6. Capital Craft (Gauteng): Pay R220 for a tag that gets you bottomless beer from any local beers they have on tap.
7. The Green. Craft Bar (Gauteng): Get a range of 12 beers and a National Beer Day T-shirt for R350! Your 12 beers are:
- Fokof Lager 330ml Bottle
- Green Lager Draught
- Mad Giant Guzzler 330ml Bottle
- Jack Black Keller Pils 330ml Bottle
- Poison City Punk Rocker 330ml Bottle
- Zwakala Naked Ale 330ml Bottle
- Darling Bonecrusher 330ml Bottle
- Mad Giant Weiss Draught
- Devils Peak Pale ale 330ml Bottle
- Darling warlord 330ml Bottle
- Stellenbrau Lager 330ml Bottle
- Kopparberg Raspberry 330ml Bottle (for Desert)
8. Copperlake Brewery Co. (Gauteng): It’s not exactly for National Beer Day but Copperlake Brewery Co. is celebrating their 3rd birthday with a craft festival. They’ll have a special selection of craft drinks available from Mad Giant, Agar’s Brewery, The Keghouse, Cape Town Craft Gin and Jameson Craft Whisky. 1 day only.
9. Gilroy’s Brewery (Gauteng): Visit Gilroy’s Country Restaurant & Pub and buy one pint of Gilroy beer for the price of two, and get a second pint absolutely free! (I’m a bit confused by this one)
10. Cape Brewing Co.: They have a buy one, get one free special at participating restaurants and bars:
- Whisk Wine Bar (Gauteng)
- Beerhaus Bavaria (Gauteng)
- Hell’s Kitchen (Gauteng)
- Choo Choo Junction (Gauteng)
- Craft Beer Library (Gauteng)
- Foundry (Gauteng)
- Babylonstoren Wine Estate (Western Cape)
- LaParada Restaurant (Western Cape)
- Barristers Grill & Cafe Newlands (Western Cape)
- Dixies Restaurant & Bar (Western Cape)
- Life Grand Cafe Waterfront (Western Cape)
- Brick Lane Eatery (Western Cape)
- The Wild Fig Restaurant (Western Cape)
- The Vic Bar (Western Cape)
- Jamaica Me Crazy (Western Cape)
11. Simonsvlei (Western Cape): They’re hosting the Happy Weekends event so Karoo Craft Breweries and Cederberg Brewery will be there. Draughts will be sold at R30/500 ml.
13. Dockside Ale House (Eastern Cape): All 500ml beers are R20 between 12:00 and 16:00.
14. Nottingham Road Brewing Company (KwaZulu-Natal): Buy one, get one free on selected draught beers at the brewery from 8am to 4pm.
15. Banana Jam Café (Western Cape): They’ll have the launch of the ACBC/Atlantic Storm Golden Stout on tap, a special food and beer pairing platter, free tasters of ACBC beers on the deck and all day happy hour on selected ACBC beers
16. Nieuw Brew (Western Cape): Get a beer basket for two and a beer for R150.
17. Beerhaus Bavaria (Gauteng): Buy one, get one free special for Cape Brewing Co., Jack Black Beer and Alpha Craft beers
18. Richwood Inn Pub (Western Cape): It’s Happy Hour all day from 11h00 until 02h00. All 750ml Beers are R21 all day and 500ml Castle Draught is R21 all day.
19. The Crafty Half (Western Cape): With 42 beers from 7 Garden Route breweries, you can:
- Buy any 3 craft beers and get the cheapest at half price.
- Buy any 6 craft beers and get the cheapest for free.
- In conjunction with the Peppermill, order any 2 Crafty Half craft beers and a delicious craft burger for only R140.
For any updates on South African National Beer Day events, visit http://beerday.co.za/. Happy drinking!
Where will you be celebrating South African National Beer Day? Any events you know about that aren’t listed? Tell me about it!